Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Deep Forest Bouldering: Kids at the Boulders

I had the opportunity to take my kids to the boulders this past summer. Of coarse I want them to love climbing and so far they do. At this point though I think it is because there dad loves climbing which is great. Some times the trick is to find problems that they can do.
Holdless Slab at its finest.
Luckily for me there are lots of boulders with slabs around to climb.
Woods in the Northwest
The goal for this day was to get my daughter on some boulders and try some of my projects as well. I had a slab in mind with lots of little chicken heads on it in mind for my daughter so off we went to that.
My daughter in full onsite mode.
This problem has lots of chicken heads on it which makes the climbing supper fun and easy. It is about 20 feet high and full slab. A couple of days after this photo was taken I bought her some new climbing shoes.
Passing more boulders in the woods.
After she sent and had a second lap for fun we headed of to a different part of the boulders for daddy to try a project for a little while.
My little one heading by the boulders.
This project I have been trying for some time now. I get on it when the conditions are good and each time I manage a new move and get a little further.
Notre Dame V7 our harder.
My high point is one move past this one. I can now get to it most times. All holds on this one are terrible slopers with big throws between them. I am sure of how it is going to end but I have not managed the move yet. Supper excited about this one. After a few goes it was time for a transition problem then on to the next project.
British VB

Sweet Pocket!
I love the pocket on British. Great texture and moves make it a supper fun one for sure. With my transition problem done I moved on to the next project. On this next one I had come close before but not figure the upper part of the problem out on the last session. This time was different as I had an idea of how it would go so all I had to do was put it together.
Excalibur V4 FA

Excalibur V4 crux move.
Excalibur V4 Final move to small pocket.






































Excalibur starts on a small pinch and an undercling. Then progresses through some small high side pulls to set up a high feet move to a right undercling sidepull. This brings us to the crux which is setting your feet high and turning in to a small pocket so that you can reach to the last pocket and rock over to the top of the boulder. Turned out to be a great boulder problem for sure with a bit of a commitment factor.
Staring lunch and looking at what I just sent.
I love the woods and climbing so much I find I am happiest in the forest climbing when the to can come together.
My kids sharing lunch with me.
After lunch there was just enough time left to hit some classics.
Mini Cooper V3
Steep, punchy, crimpy Mini Cooper is always fun as well as it opposite Centurion V2.
Centurion V2
22 feet high with a solid start leads to very committed finish way off the deck. This problem is one of the greats for sure. Well it has been a long day at the boulders once again and now we must go home. Until next time keep sending.